Thursday, March 26, 2015

Change your Attitude




From Noorudin Bhamani

‎"You may not be Dr Abdul Qadir or Gulji to create a master piece, but just create a change. Change to remind the people who have lost the essence of our motherland & humanity, create a change to inspire others to change something too.(NSB)

There Awareness is for PWDs as well as general public of Pakistan. I hope my efforts will bring a massive positive change in the mindset of the general public as well as the PWDs. 
.
My background and interest in People with Disabilities Rights stems from the fact that I myself am a Person with Progressive Muscular Dystrophy which affects my mobility.  Like all of us, I have a number of characteristics and identities, but overwhelmingly my identity as a Person with Disabilities has defined my relationship with the world and its relationship with me.  From the anxiety and terror to my own experience of growing up as different and experiencing the fear and loathing (forgive my frank description) directed towards People with Disabilities.

In my exploration of the subject of prejudice and the extent to which communities can overcome discrimination, I will begin by considering the nature of discrimination and the extent to which communities can deal with its subtleties. People with Disabilities face open, hidden, ancient and systemic or institutional discrimination and so the list goes on.  Much has been written to illustrate this, but it bears repeating; particularly by way of illustration, I would like to paraphrase the "real" lives and attitudes of People with Disabilities.  I imagine that at least some of them are true throughout the world.  I emphasise that these are attitudes and assumptions and not truths.  These assumptions are born not of actual interactions with People with Disabilities, but rather of fears that have been engendered as a result of the systematic exclusion of People with Disabilities from the communities. This exclusion is reflected in various aspects of our culture, like Communities, films, television, literatures, and the media itself.

...XXX... 


No comments:

Post a Comment